I know a lot of people pack away their slow cooker during the warmer months of summer, but this time of year is when I rely heavily on my slow cooker.
You see, I live in a tiny apartment that has one window AC unit. That AC unit is all the way in the bedroom and while it does cool down our apartment, it isn’t a drastic change. Instead of 95 degrees, it might drop to a tolerable 90 degrees. Basically turning on the oven at all totally negates any dent our AC makes in the sweltering heat of apartment.
Oh yeah, our apartment is on the 8th floor (heat rises) and faces the West (aka bakes in the afternoon sun).
My slow cooker means I can still cook tasty meals without melting into a hungry pile of sweat.
Obviously I’m not making the typical stews, soups, and chilis you normally find in a slow cooker. Actually, I follow a pretty simple formula when it comes to summer slow cooking.
Hunk of meat + seasoning of choice
Yeah… that’s it.
I don’t like to use a lot of my brain power making dinner during the summer since I’m doing what I can not to swim in my own sweat. I like this barbacoa recipe because it makes even better leftovers and I don’t have to heat it up for it to taste good. Which means multiple meals and not raising the temperature in my oven of a dwelling. Double bonus.
Ok, I think you get the idea that I still use my slow cooker throughout the summer to make simple delicious meals. Also, my apartment is a hotbox.
Onto the recipe!
Slow Cooker Barbacoa- makes 4-6 servings
- 2-3 pounds chuck tender roast
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Mexican oregano (you can also use regular)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Place the beef into the slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and combine until smooth.
- Pour this mixture over the beef. Cover and cook on low for 6 to hours.
- With about 30 minutes of cook time left, remove the beef to a large bowl. Shred with two forks and then place back in the slow cooker and stir everything together well.
- Serve barbacoa in taco shells, over nachos, in lettuce wraps, or make a barbacoa salad. Top with sour cream, cheese, guacamole, salsa, fajita peppers, and any other taco-like fixin’s you enjoy!