Oh, Instant Pot. I think I might be in love with you. Don’t tell the slow cooker, but with your fancy delay and keep warm setting, I might like you just a little better.
My new work schedule includes a few days where I have mornings free but then work in the afternoon/evening. It’s nice to have a little time in the morning to get things ready for the day and that usually includes dinner. Slow cooker meals have been saving my butt lately. More specifically, slow cooker meals in my Instant Pot have been saving my butt.
Because I can time it perfectly for when I or Adam gets home. Which means that dinner is cooked perfectly instead of overdone or not quite ready. Also, I feel like meals slow cooked in the Instant Pot are just a little better because the lid seals and keeps in all the heat and moisture. Maybe I’m crazy but it sure feels that way.
On one Friday when I had a little time in the morning, I came up with this recipe. Mostly because all the ingredients other than the chicken were what I already had on hand. But also because I wanted to test out the delayed start on my Instant Pot. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, don’t fret. You can make this in your slow cooker without having to adjust any cooking time. Either way, by the time you come home you will have a totally delicious meal waiting.
I served this with tortilla shells for my husband and over wilted spinach for me. It would also be pretty good in lettuce wraps or in a burrito bowl. So many options! Also, I may sound like a broken record but you should make more than you need and freeze half for lunches or dinners later on. Future you will thank present you.
Slow Cooker Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken- serves 8
Calories: 257 Total Fat: 16.76g Carbs: 3.48g Fiber: .4g Protein: 22.19g
- 1-2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 cup roasted poblano pepper*
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
*To roast your poblano pepper, place under the broiler for about 3 minutes and then turn over and broil another 2 minutes. Remove and place under a glass bowl for 10 minutes. Remove from under the bowl and slip off the skin. Chop up and use for recipe*
- Place the chicken thighs on the bottom of your slow cooker or Instant Pot. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Place the rest of the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth and creamy. Pour this over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high 4 to 6 hours. At the end of the cook time, remove the chicken from the slow cooker or Instant Pot. The sauce might look like it’s separated, but just give it a good stir and it should be fine.
- Shred the chicken and put it back in the sauce. Stir to combine and let it warm up for another 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!