PLEASE DON’T RUN AWAY!! THIS ISN’T PEE IN A JAR!!
I just wanted to clear that up ASAP in case you completely skimmed over the title and were about to write me hate emails for posting obscene pictures on my blog. Not that I think any of you are particularly prone to hate emails, but if a jar of pee were to show up somewhere unexpected it would totally be acceptable to have your feathers ruffled.
So again, this is not pee and I should really stop talking about pee in the same post as food. So Imma do that now.
This is simply turmeric oil and another way to get this amazing herb into your diet with minimal effort. I’m a big fan of Golden Milk, and when it’s cold out I like ending my night with a big cup of that cozy. But when warmer months hit, I’m not so much into the hot drinks. Call me crazy, but sweating profusely at all hours of the day isn’t my idea of fun.
Turmeric oil makes it easy to add wonderfully anti-inflammatory turmeric to all your food. My favorite right now is tossing it with broccoli and then roasting it at 400 for about 20 minutes. Super delicious. I also like this oil because it combines turmeric with fat, which is one of the things you need to ingest to make turmeric more effective. All you have to do is add a pinch of pepper to whatever you’re making and you’ve got all the necessary ingredients to make turmeric more bioavailable.
Once you make this, you can keep it on your counter for a few weeks or in your fridge for over a month. And don’t worry about it overpowering the taste of all your food. A little goes a long way and when it’s mixed in with other seasonings, you can barely taste the turmeric.
Alright, now that we know this is a jar of something awesome and healthy instead of something gross, let’s make sure we have it on hand for Friday’s recipe! And all the meals you make between then and now!
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 4-5 pieces of turmeric, peeled and sliced
- 1-in knob of ginger, peeled and sliced*
- Pour the coconut oil into a medium saucepan and turn the heat to medium-high. Once the oil is liquid add the turmeric and ginger if using.
- Heat the turmeric and ginger for about 2 minutes and then turn the heat to low and let everything simmer for about 20 minutes. DO NOT let the oil boil, just keep it at a low simmer.
- Remove from heat and pour the oil into a glass jar or container, let it cool and then strain out the turmeric and ginger. Discard those pieces and seal the container and store on the counter or fridge.
*This is optional but I like the zing the ginger adds. If you would prefer a milder oil, just leave out the ginger. It won’t ruin the recipe or anything!