Ok my meat eaters, this one is for you. A quick no-oven meal that features a simple pork marinaded on top of a salad with roasted corn and shallots. It’s a long title but it isn’t a long meal. Promise.
I know I don’t do a lot of meat-based recipes on the blog but I don’t eat meat and my husband doesn’t eat a ton of it. And no. I don’t force him to not meat. In fact, I offer to buy and make him more meat but he always declines. So don’t yell at me about how men need meat and I’m depriving him. BELIEVE me. I do not deprive the boy. He eats. A lot.
With the heat lately, I have been expanding my repertoire of no oven meals and trying to get creative with how I cook dinner. This recipe came from just grabbing what I had on hand, using as little heat as possible and then throwing it all in a bowl. Pretty much how a lot of my weeknight dinners go actually.
Don’t like pork? You can easily do this with chicken or even fish. Don’t eat corn? Try roasting some broccoli, cauliflower, or whatever vegetable you do eat with some shallots and spices. Bet it will be delicious. So if you’re crunched for time and it’s still too hot to even think about the oven, give this meal a try!
Balsamic Pork on Roasted Corn & Shallot Salad- This serves one but you can easily double it for two
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or liquid aminos or soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 boneless pork loin, pounded thin
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried, and chopped
- handful of carrots, celery, radishes, cucumbers, whatever vegetable you have sliced (I used carrots)
- Whisk all the marinade ingredients together and then pour it in a shallow dish or a small zip lock bag. Add the pork and let it marinade for at least 30 minutes. Turn it over halfway through if needed.
- While the pork is marinating, place lettuce in a large bowl and heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. I used my cast iron skillet but use whatever you would like.
- Add the corn kernels and shallots and then sprinkle with salt and pepper and a little garlic powder. Saute until the corn starts to pop and it’s a little charred.
- Place corn and shallots in the bowl with the lettuce and add a little more olive oil to the skillet. Remove the pork from the marinade and cook for about 3 minutes per side. Remove it from heat and let it rest for five minutes on a plate.
- Slice the extra vegetables and add to the bowl. Then slice the pork into strips or cubes and add to the salad. Eat up!
This is awesome on its own but if you want to add a little dressing, try my basil salad dressing, any one of my pestos, or my basil hummus dressing!