People who love mashed potatoes get very angry when you make them mashed cauliflower and tell them it tastes exactly the same.
And let’s face it. Mashed cauliflower doesn’t REALLY taste like mashed potatoes. Don’t get me wrong, I love cauliflower. It’s one of my favorite vegetables. And it is really versatile. But despite its versatility, it still tastes like cauliflower and that’s ok. You don’t have to shun potatoes or rice to like their cauliflower replicas.
But you can combine them.
Because I also like potatoes, I wanted to try something a little different. I added mashed cauliflower and mashed potatoes and got a tasty blend. It has the texture of mashed potatoes (something cauliflower lacks) but is slightly lighter and airier than traditional potatoes.
I also mixed in pesto because I also love pesto. It’s the besto.
I know this version of mashed potatoes might not make it onto your holiday table and I wouldn’t force it on there. But if you’re looking for something a little different while still also being comforting, give this recipe a try!
Pesto Cauliflower & Potato Mash
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 4 tbsp butter or ghee or dairy-free alternative
- 1/3 cup pesto (try this one or this one or this one)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Place potatoes in a steamer basket. Chop the cauliflower into florets, removing most of the stem. Put them in the steamer basket and steam for about 15 to 20 minutes until everything is easily pierced with a fork.
- Put the cauliflower and potatoes into a bowl along with the butter and salt and pepper. Mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Stir in the pesto and serve. You can also drizzle a little extra pesto on top before serving.