Candy? Did someone say candy? Yes. They also said pistachio and bars. So, now that we’re all on the same page, let’s make some candy.
But first, let’s talk about how I. Cannot. Stop. Listening. To. Show. Tunes. I mean, I’ve always enjoyed musicals and what not but for like the past month, I have not been able to listen to anything else. It’s gotten to the point where I’m pretty much living in a musical. I sing to myself about everything I’m doing. Good thing my cats (and occasionally my husband) are my only audience. I bet my neighbors love me. But you know what? They should be thanking me for the free, and awesome, entertainment.
Maybe I’ll make them some pistachio candy bars and beg for forgiveness so I don’t get evicted….
If you’re in need of apology candy bars or just want a sweet little treat, these pistachio candy bars are just the ticket. They are full of cookie bar crusts, date caramel, and dark chocolate. The sprinkle of pistachio and flaky sea salt is just the cherry…er nut? on top.
Even better? These are gluten, dairy, and refined sugar-free. Win-win-win. So, what did we learn today friends? I love show tunes and want to sing everything. These candy bars are good enough to keep your neighbors from complaining about singing all the live long day. Your paleo/vegan/non-gluten/health-conscious friends and family members will love this dessert.
Good life lessons folks.
Pistachio Candy Bars
Cookie Base- similar to my cookie base for Salted Caramel Chocolate Swirl Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened (not completely liquid but not rock solid either)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325. Combine the coconut oil and maple syrup in a small bowl. Whisk together the coconut flour and sea salt. Mix the wet and dry together until you get a dough ball.
- Lightly oil an 8 x 8 dish with coconut oil and then line with parchment paper. Press the dough ball into the bottom of the dish until it lines the whole bottom. Take your time so you don’t create any big holes.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn. Set aside and let it cool while you make the other layers.
Date Caramel Layer-
- 2 cups diced Deleget Noor dates, make the dice pretty small so it’s easier to blend
- 2 tbsp liquid coconut oil
- hot water as needed
** I used an immersion blender for this because my Vitamix was too big to blend this up well enough. Try to use the smallest version of whatever blender/food processor you have on hand.
- Place the dates and coconut oil in a blender or food processor and combine until smooth. Add hot water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to get things moving.
- Spread the date caramel over the cookie crust and place in the fridge while you get the chocolate layer ready.
Chocolate Pistachio Layer-
- 3 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp liquid coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pistachio, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler until smooth. Pour over the date caramel layer.
- Sprinkle the pistachio pieces and sea salt in an even layer over the chocolate.
- Let everything set in the fridge for about an hour. Once the chocolate has hardened, remove from the fridge and use the parchment paper to pull the whole thing out of the dish.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into bars. Or you could cut them into squares. You do you. 🙂