Yeah. Weird title BUT jackfruit and cauliflower casserole didn’t sound as good even if it tastes delicious. Plus, I was kind of going for a version of chicken and rice when I made this casserole.
Ok, in all honesty, I was just throwing things into a casserole dish and hoping they worked. I made this before we moved as one of the dinners I could just throw in the oven without thinking. I was also trying to clean out the fridge a bit so I didn’t have a bunch of food to haul to our new place.
Thus, the chicken and rice casserole without any chicken or rice. Please feel free to sub cooked chicken in for the shredded jackfruit if you prefer, I won’t be offended. But I do like the cauliflower rice instead of the actual rice. Gives the dish texture without weighing it down.
Not on the food front, Adam and I should finish unpacking the last few boxes we have and organize things a little more at our new apartment. You know how you kind of have to live in a place for a little bit to see where everything should go? Yeah, that’s the stage we’re at. We’ve unpacked all the important stuff and put it in spots but now that we’ve been here a few weeks, we have to take everything out and put it in a better spot.
Have I mentioned I love moving? 😀
What are your plans for the weekend? Hopefully a little more exciting than organizing an apartment!
Chicken & Rice Casserole: Without the Chicken or Rice
- 2 cups cauliflower rice (you can also buy it in the frozen vegetable section at a lot of grocery stores now)
- 2 cups shredded jackfruit (this is the brand I use) OR cooked chicken
- 1 cup kale (I used frozen and thawed it before using it)
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups of my cheeze sauce (make this ahead to save time)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (omit if using chicken)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. Make the cheeze sauce and set aside. If you didn’t buy prepared cauliflower rice, make your own and set aside. Shred the jackfruit and lightly oil a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and saute until soft and just starting to brown a little. Add the garlic and saute another minute or two.
- Add the shredded jackfruit and stir to combine everything. Add the cauliflower, kale, salt, pepper, liquid smoke, and Italian seasoning. Saute for about 10 minutes until the cauliflower rice is soft. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Put everything into a large bowl and add about half the cheeze sauce. Stir to make sure everything is coated and then pour into the casserole dish. Smooth everything out and then pour in the remaining cheeze sauce.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes until everything is bubbly and starting to brown on the edges.
- Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before you dig in!