Remember those cookies I made for my cream cheese frosting? Well, you can stop wondering about them.
I know this is the time of year that pumpkin flavored everything is everywhere. Coffee, cookies, bread, muffins, oatmeal, stew, candles, air fresheners…. You get the idea. Don’t get me wrong, pumpkin is awesome. I have a whole shelf in my closet dedicated to my stock of pumpkin. But it isn’t the only fall produce that deserves some love.
Carrots are a really versatile vegetable. Kind of like pumpkin, they do well in sweet and savory dishes. While I do love a good carrot soup or stew, carrot cake is where it’s at for me.
These carrot cake cookies are more of a breakfast type cookie because they aren’t super sweet. You can make it a little more decadent by turning it into a cream cheese frosting and carrot cake cookie sandwich. Believe me, it’s delicious.
Leave the frosting off and you have a healthy breakfast cookie that’s lightly sweetened with raisins and a little maple syrup. A cookie for breakfast? Now that’s the dream!
- 1 cup regular oats, not instant
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp flax
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat. Mix the flax seed and water together and set aside.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the raisins and coconut oil until you have a smooth paste. Add the shredded carrots and pulse a few more times.
- Add the dry ingredients to the carrot mixture and pulse until everything is mixed together.
- Scoop out about a tablespoon or so and slightly flatten them into discs and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the cookies are slightly brown around the edges. Let them cool on the sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
That’s it! Keep them in an airtight container and they should last about a week, longer if you put them in the fridge.
Do you have any fun plans for this weekend? Adam and I are headed to Brazil (Indiana, not the country) to spend some time with his folks at the covered bridge festival. It will be nice to spend time with family and just relax!
One thought on “Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies”
Pingback: Things That Are Making Me Happy Right Now | Life Healthfully Lived
Comments are closed.