Remember that wall of fish in my freezer? Well, it has made me become very creative with cooking fish and I thought that I would share some of my creations with you wonderful people.
I don’t eat fish but my husband, Adam does. I know that fish is a very popular, healthy protein and that many people eat fish. The problem with fish is preparing it. Some people have this perception that it is really difficult to cook and while it can be easy to overcook fish, it isn’t as hard as you might think. Some people think the best way to make fish is to dunk it in batter and fry it up, right mom :)? While this method is tasty, it isn’t the healthiest way to make fish.
Here is a simple and healthy way to make fish that is a nice change from pan or deep frying.
- 1 lb of white fish, I used rockfish but halibut, tilapia or cod would work well
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh or dried dill
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp homemade mayo (or use your favorite brand)
- 1/2 a medium zucchini, shredded
- Fill a medium saucepan with a little water and then place a steamer basket over the top. Cover and bring to a boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, remove any skin from your fish and cut into 1 in. cubes. Place the fish in a medium bowl.
- Sprinkle fish with lemon juice and all the seasonings. Mix well to make sure all the fish is coated. Place the fish into the steamer basket and cover. Steam until the fish is cooked through about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the fish and place it in a clean bowl. Shred the fish with two forks and allow it to cool a little. Once the fish is cool, mix in the mayo. Use enough that the fish is covered by not drowning in the mayo. Stir in the zucchini shreds.
- You can serve this right away or keep in the fridge and serve cold.
That’s it! This is a meal that comes together fast and can be made ahead of time. You can also serve it numerous ways. You can spread it over toasted bread, in lettuce wraps, or you can scoop it up with celery or carrot sticks. So many delicious options! If you’re looking for a new way to eat your fish, give this fish salad a try!
Have an excellent weekend everyone!