I love breakfast. It’s one of my favorite meals of the day and sometimes, I eat it for more than one meal of the day. Sorry, I’m not sorry. I usually have a rotation of a few different breakfast dishes that I go through depending on my mood for the day. One of my favorites is oatmeal. It’s just so hearty, plus you can put literally ANYTHING into oatmeal (meaning I put spoonfuls of peanut butter in mine) and make it taste amazing. As much as I love oatmeal, sometimes in the summer you don’t want a bowl of oatmeal. You want something a little lighter and a little cooler. Enter plantain porridge. The idea of eating porridge made from fruit might seem a little strange, but trust me it tastes really good. The best thing about this breakfast is that just like oatmeal, you can mix in an assortment of toppings. And let’s be honest, I’m all about the toppings. Give this quick and easy breakfast a whirl and tell me how you customize your bowl!
Plantain Porridge Breakfast Bowl
- 1 large plantain or 2 small plantains, yellow or black skinned (NOT green!)
- Toppings of your choice (I like peanut butter, flax and chia seeds, raisins, goji berries, toasted buckwheat groats, and cinnamon)
1. Peel the plantain by slicing of one end and then cutting a slit down the center. Slice the plantain into smaller chunks.
2. If your plantain is soft enough you can mash the slices right in the bowl until it is a creamy almost yogurt-like texture. If it is a little firmer, place in a blender or food processor and pulse a few times until smooth.
3. Place in your bowl and top with whatever you feel like. Try almond butter or tahini. Try any type of berries like raspberry or strawberry. You could add sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, cashews, or even pistachios. Get creative and try some new combos.
In case you hadn’t noticed, (which you might need to get your eyes checked if you didn’t…) this is the “relaunch” of my blog! Welcome to Life, Healthfully Lived. This is a space that you can come and learn some simple but effective ways to start changing your health for the better. I am so excited to start sharing my thoughts and advice on this new page and can’t wait for the awesome projects I have coming your way soon! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and I’ll see you soon!