Hello everyone! I hope that you have had a great week and that you are starting to emerge from the caves of winter into the warmth (sort of) of spring! I know that I haven’t done a regular post that doesn’t include a recipe in a while, but I have a few coming your way soon and once this move is over they will be coming more often! Today I have a quick and healthy snack recipe for you. I have been having a love affair with chickpeas lately, I can’t seem to get enough of them! I eat them any way I can, in hummus, in salads, sauteed with greens, and roasted. Roasted chickpeas are a great crunchy snack that you can season any way you like. If you want a sweeter snack you can use cinnamon or nutmeg and if you are craving salty you can try garlic and pepper. The options are endless!
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and rinsed (you could use canned, but the texture isn’t quite the same)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- seasonings of your choice (I like garlic, garam masala, cumin, or italian seasonings)
- silpat or parchment paper (aluminum foil doesn’t work well with these)
- large baking sheet
1. Cook your soaked and rinsed chickpeas in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 20-30 minutes. You want a firm texture, not too mushy.
2. Preheat oven to 425. Place your silpat or parchment paper on to a large baking sheet. You want the baking sheet to be big enough that the chickpeas will have enough room to spread out, otherwise you’ll get chewy not crunchy chickpeas
3. Pat the chickpeas dry and place into a large mixing bowl. Add in the olive oil (enough to cover the chickpeas, but don’t drown them in it) and whichever seasonings you’re going to use. Mix well so everything is coated.
4. Spread the chickpeas out in a single layer on the baking sheet, making sure they have a enough room between each and place in the oven. Cook for about 15 minutes, then rotate the pan and cook for about 5 more minutes. Keep an eye on them for the last 5 minutes so they don’t burn.
That’s it! Remove them from the oven and let them cool a bit before you dig in. I promise I have never burnt my fingers or tongue trying to eat these right out of the oven… Enjoy your tasty and healthy snack! Have a great weekend and see you all on Monday!
One thought on “Roasted Chickpeas”
Pingback: How to Pack a Healthy Lunch | Life Healthfully Lived
Comments are closed.