I have gotten a few requests for this recipe and since it is one of my favorite weeknight meals, I thought I would share it here! This recipe is a lot like the meatball recipe I have posted here, but just a little different. I usually do the prep work for this the night before or on the morning of the day I am going to eat it. That way I can just throw it in the oven when I get home from work and not worry about it!
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 2 tsp basil
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicier)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos or soy sauce
1. In a food processor combine lentils, oats, carrots, and all herbs and spices. Pulse a few times to combine everything, but don’t turn it into a paste, you still want some texture. Set aside
2. In a medium skillet, heat up some olive oil and saute onions until soft about 7 min. Add in garlic and saute a few more minutes. Add in your lentil mixture and cook until it starts to brown up. About 10 minutes.
3. Pour in your vegetable broth and liquid aminos or soy sauce. Cook for about 10 more minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Take the skillet of the heat and allow it to cool enough to handle it. Pre-heat oven to 425.
4. Grease a loaf pan with a little olive oil and once your lentil mixture is cool transfer it to the loaf pan. Place aluminum foil over the pan and place in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Once it’s a little crispy on the edges, remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes. Slice it up and enjoy!
This is also a great meal to add in extra vegetables or use up stuff that you have in your fridge. I’ve added green peppers, mushrooms, spinach, and fresh herbs as well. I also sometimes pour leftover soup, salsa, or tomato sauce on the top for extra flavor. Get creative and find the version that you really love!