I know, I know. The title of this post might be enough to make a lot of you turn right around and run away screaming. Brussels sprouts are not a very popular vegetable, but I think they get a bad rap because they aren’t prepared properly. I think that most of the people who don’t like brussels sprouts have been served bland, over-boiled, and mushy sprouts. Anyone would push that mess away from them. Enter my brussels sprouts. Now I’m not going to say that these will instantly convert you to a sprout lover, but it is a step in the right direction. By roasting these in the oven, you add a delicious flavor without overcooking them. The seasonings add even more flavor and can be customized to your tastes. This is a great side dish for any holiday meal, and a great way to get in a delicious serving of vegetables. So disregard your thoughts about stinky, gross brussels sprouts and give these a try. You might just find a new favorite!
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- Extra virgin Olive Oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- fresh black pepper
- 1-2 tsp smoked paprika (I highly suggest smoked paprika instead of sweet. It adds an awesome smoky flavor to the sprouts)
1. Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Cut the ends off of the brussels sprouts and remove any loose or discolored leaves. If some of the greener leaves come off, that’s fine Keep those and you can roast those as well.
3. Place your brussels sprouts in a bowl and drizzle a little EVOO over them. Coat them and then spread them on the baking sheet. Add in your garlic cloves and sprinkle everything with the smoked paprika and pepper.
4. Place the sheet in the oven and roast for about 15 to 25 minutes. The sprouts will be done when they have a nice golden brown color.
That’s it! A very simple way to prepare a great dish. Like I said you can experiment with the seasonings and find one that is your favorite. Eat up and enjoy!