Hello everyone! I know that I haven’t posted in awhile, but with the holiday season upon us, things get just a bit crazier. I also like to spend time with my friends and family, away from the computer and all other social media. It’s nice to unplug and enjoy the company of real humans! That being said, I do have a new recipe for you! One of my favorite meals as a kid was tomato soup and grilled cheese. I had a hankering for it the other day, but I wanted to make it in a healthier way (read: not from a can or with mounds of cheese). I used cashews to add the creaminess to the soup and I think that this meal was a winner in the Dawson house! Plus you can make it in the slow cooker, what’s better than that?
Creamy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups diced tomatoes (about 2 cans worth)
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp curry powder, optional (but it adds a really nice flavor)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
1. Place cashews and water in a bowl and soak for at least an hour or overnight if you have the time. Using an immersion blender, blender, or food processor, blend the cashews and water until they are smooth. Set aside
2. Saute all your vegetables except for the tomatoes, for about 7-10 minutes. Place everything in your slow cooker and mix well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
3. If you would like a smooth soup, use your immersion blender to blend the soup to your desired consistency. You can also leave it chunkier, totally up to you!
For the grilled cheese, my husband Adam made me some gluten free bread and I used my “cheese” sauce from the taco casserole. I just omitted the chili powder. You can make your grilled cheese however you like it best, but this was actually REALLY good and totally filled my craving.
In the next few weeks, I will try to regularly post on the blog, but there may be some days when I don’t. Think of it as a winter vacation! Go and enjoy the Christmas spirit and this soup!