After work today, Adam and I are headed off on our first camping trip of the season! We’re staying at Starved Rock and I could not be more excited. We have a new tent, our supplies packed up, and we are ready to get out there.
In case you’re gearing up to go camping sometime this summer, I thought I would give you a round-up of some of my favorite camping meals. The first time I went camping with Adam, I tried to be all fancy and create elaborate meals whilst out in the woods. Yeah, that was more stressful than it needed to be. In all honesty, to make delicious camping food all you need is a good cast iron skillet/Dutch oven, open fire, and simple ingredients.
Sure, you can get fancy but in my experience, cooking the simplest foods over an open flame is more than enough. So with that in mind, here are a few great camping recipes!
Make these recipes ahead of time and you have quick snacks/breakfasts for the morning!
These recipes are easy to recreate while camping and don’t require a ton of work or ingredients!
- Tomato Cucumber Salad/Olive & Tomato Salad
- Sweet Potato Hash (throw an egg on top and you have our favorite camping breakfast!)
- Camping Pasta
- Simple Mustard Chicken (either bring marinaded chicken or just whip it up right beforehand )
- SkinnyPop Walking Tacos (no dishes to clean up! You can also use individual bags of tortilla chips)
- Chilaquiles (another breakfast favorite)
- Mexican Sloppy Joes (feel free to add ground beef or turkey)
- Pesto Eggplant Burgers (you can always just pick up a jar of pesto instead of making it, just check the ingredients first!)
I’ll be “off-the-grid” for the next 24-36 hours, so I hope you enjoy your weekend and find some time to spend outside!