There are some weeks where the last thing I want to do on this planet is meal plan/prep. My brain just doesn’t want to think of meals and ingredients and preparation and planning and cooking. I don’t want to shop for anything. I don’t want to look at my cooking utensils. I don’t want to turn on a burner or my oven.
Basically, I want food to magically appear with zero effort or thought on my part.
I know it sounds almost sacrilegious for a food blogger to utter the words, “I don’t want to meal plan and I don’t want to cook.” But it happens. Unfortunately, we don’t have Star Trek technology that allows us to tell a computer what we want and then have it appear in seconds. We do however have slow cookers and this whole roasted chicken is my go-to on the weeks I can’t even.
Because it makes like five meals in one go.
You get the initial meal of chicken, potatoes, and carrots. Then with the leftovers (I’m assuming you won’t eat an entire bird in one sitting but if you do, maybe get a hobby?), you can make things like chicken salad, tacos, these plantain fritters, casseroles, and basically any other recipe that calls for chicken. You also get about two cups of bone broth which if you haven’t been living under a rock for the past year or so, you know it’s pretty much the elixir of the health gods. It also makes a delicious base for soup.
If you have a week where you just cannot think of one more meal or cook another dish, pull out your slow cooker and throw an entire chicken in it. You will not be disappointed with the results.
Whole Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, 5-8 pounds depending on the size of your family
- 1.5 cups baby carrots
- 10-15 fingerling or tiny dutch potatoes
- 1 onion, sliced into strips
- 4 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 2 lemons, one sliced the other left whole
- Fresh herbs like parsley, rosemary, thyme, and sage. You can use any combo or in a pinch use dried Italian seasoning
- Olive oil + salt and pepper
- Lightly oil the bottom of your slow cooker. Place carrots and potatoes on the bottom in an even layer. Place half the onion slices and four garlic halves on top along with half the slices of lemon. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and herbs or Italian seasoning.
- Take the chicken out of the package and remove any innards. Prick the whole lemon with a fork a few times and then place it inside the bird. Rub a little olive oil all over the chicken and then place it breast side up in the slow cooker. Tuck the onion and garlic into the wings and thighs along with the rest of the sliced lemon. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper and herbs.
- Cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours. The internal temperature should reach 165. Let the chicken sit for five minutes before slicing up and serving.