We all need quick meals from time to time and this chicken salad is a fun twist. Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftovers!
Lunch can be a difficult meal. It’s right in the middle of the day when you’re probably busy with a million things. Stopping for lunch can be tough, but it is really important. As a fellow work through lunch person, it only sets you up for shoving all the food in your face at dinner.
Not the prettiest look.
So what can we do to make lunch easier? Meal-prep of course! Which is exactly what you can do with this salad. Prep all the ingredients over the weekend, throw them into mason jars, and pull one out for lunch when you’re ready to eat. BOOM! Lunch problem solved.
I also like that this salad can use any leftover protein you have. Chicken, turkey, pork, tempeh, jackfruit, tofu, chickpeas…. it all works!
Now, let’s prep some not-a-sad-desk-lunch salads!
Thai Chicken Cucumber Salad with Ginger Dressing- This gluten-free veggie-filled salad is PERFECT for lunches or quick dinners. You can use leftover rotisserie chicken if you have it on hand or swap it for any other protein you would like. Pork, fish, chickpeas, lentils, all of them work with this recipe!
For the salad:
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup fresh basil, cut into ribbons
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely minced
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken, shredded*
- ½ cup sliced almonds
For the dressing:
- Juice of 3 limes (about ¼ cup)
- Zest of one lime
- 2 tbsp liquid or coconut aminos OR tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Place all the dressing ingredients into a jar with a lid and shake vigorously until combined. Set aside.
- Clean and dry the cucumber then trim the ends and cut in half. Spiralize the cucumber halves with the fettucini blade attachment.
- If you didn’t buy shredded carrots, shred whole carrots in your food processor.
- Combine the cucumber noodles, shredded carrots, basil and cilantro in a large bowl. Stir until everything is mixed together. Add half the dressing and toss to coat.
- Serve the cucumber salad and top with about ½ cup shredded chicken per portion. Drizzle with remaining dressing and top with sliced almonds.
*Save time by using a rotisserie chicken and use the leftovers for other meals during the week!