In one week, Adam and I will officially live in Chicago. Technically our lease started yesterday but we won’t be moving until next Thursday. This move has come really fast and while I still have a to do list a mile long, I don’t feel as stressed as I usually do when we move. Although that could all change in an instant, talk to me next week! This will probably be my last post for a few weeks while we get everything moved and settled in our new place. Once we’re in Chicago though my blogging will be much more regular and there will be some changes happening to the site! Excited for all the new things that we are going to do and experience in the next few weeks!
This meal is a quick and easy meal to throw together and it makes a lot of leftovers. It’s kind of the perfect meal to make when you’re moving to a new city…
Mac N’ Greens
- 1 package of pasta (I used brown rice pasta to keep it gluten free. Whole wheat would be good too)
- 1 bag of frozen kale or spinach, thawed (could also use fresh and whatever green you want like collard or mustard)
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 cup cooked cannellini beans (or 1 can)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp brown mustard
1. If you’re using dried beans, soak them overnight, then drain and rinse them and cook them on the stove for about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Make sure your greens are completely thawed. If you are using fresh, chop them up and set aside. Cook your pasta according to the directions on the package. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and set aside.
3. In a medium skillet saute the onions in olive oil for about 5 to 7 minutes until they are soft. Add in the garlic and saute for another minute or two.
4. In a blender or food processor, grind the cashews until they are a fine powder. Add in about 1 cup of the broth or water and blend until smooth. Add in the onions and garlic, beans, lemon juice, and mustard. Combine until smooth and add in salt and pepper to taste.
5. In a large pot, combine the pasta and greens until fully mixed together. Pour the sauce into the pot and heat over medium heat until everything is warmed through.
Enjoy your delicious and nutritious pasta dish, and I’ll see you in Chicago!