I’m going to be honest with you, I’m not a huge fan of buffalo sauce. I don’t hate it, it’s just not really on my radar. I’ve gone most of my life without and I would say I’ve lived a good life.
But that has changed.
I had an idea for a recipe and I was going to need to rely heavily on buffalo sauce so I started looking around. Store-bought was out of the question because I couldn’t find any that any redeemable qualities. That left making my own, which I’m all about anyway. Well, there were a few good ones out there but a lot of them relied heavily on butter and Worchester sauce (which I will NEVER be able to pronounce properly) and I didn’t want to use those.
Long story short, I created a buffalo sauce that’s made with real ingredients and doesn’t include butter. It is really easy to make and you can put it on anything that you would use buffalo sauce. Wings, cauliflower bites, celery, fingers…. Also heads up, you’re going to want to make a batch of this for Friday’s recipe!
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, I used this one, but use your favorite or make your own!
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp molasses
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Transfer to an airtight container, like a mason jar, and store in your fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Simple and tasty, just the way I like it! You can easily double or triple this recipe to make enough for all your buffalo needs!
Friday. I can hear the collective sigh of all you hardworking people! I know that this week has been crazy busy for me and I am really glad that the weekend is almost here.
Adam and I are actually going to his aunt’s wedding today in Waukegan so our weekend is going to start a little early. But I did want to make sure I gave you guys something yummy to make over the weekend. I’m always thinking of you like that!
This is just a quick snack I threw together because I randomly had leftover popcorn. I know, weird right? Who has leftover popcorn? Anyway, I was going for a healthy popcorn ball but that did not happen at all. Luckily what did happen is a fairly tasty treat/snack. It’s always great when your mistakes turn into delicious things. Don’t you wish that would happen in real life? Like don’t worry about messing up that interview, it’s now a plate of cookies! That would be awesome. Oh well, maybe someday…. Ok enough babbling onto the snack!
- 1 1/2 cup popped popcorn
- 2/3 cup assorted nuts and seeds (I used pecans, almonds, and pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate pieces
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp tahini or almond butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a medium bowl mix together the nuts, seeds, and chocolate. Set aside and line a muffin tin with liners. Place about 2 tbsp popcorn in each liner. Sprinkle a little of the nut/seed/chocolate mix over this.
- Place the oil and maple syrup in a medium saucepan and place over medium high heat. Heat until the mixture is just bubbling and then add in the tahini or almond butter. Stir to combine and heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn of the heat and stir in the cinnamon and salt and then moving quickly pour about a tablespoon over each muffin liner.
- Once all the tahini mixture is used up, move the popcorn clusters to the freezer and freeze for at least 30 minutes or until the clusters have hardened.
Once the clusters have cooled you can pop them out of the tin and store them in an airtight container. Make sure to keep them in the freezer or fridge so they don’t melt! Now you have a delicious snack whenever you get hungry!
OH! You guys should also go check out the blog Girl-ish. They are an awesome blog that writes about fashion, entertainment, life, and health and I am one of their newest contributors! I’m really excited to be working with these ladies and can’t wait to bring you more tasty and healthy food over there.
Have a super weekend and see you guys on Monday!