Happy Friday! How was your Thanksgiving? Delicious? Because mine was.
And I’m almost ready for round two.
Every year since getting married, I’ve had two Thanksgivings. One with Adam’s family and one with mine. My family celebrates on the Saturday after Thanksgiving to give our stomachs a little bit of time to rest in between feasting.
In honor of eating good food but not overdoing it so I can eat more turkey tomorrow, I came up with this recipe for dinner tonight. A simple soup that is loaded with flavor. It’s also easy to make because let’s face it, some of us are still in a carb coma and don’t want to use too much energy to make food.
Slow cooker to the rescue! I used shredded chicken from my freezer, but you could also use a rotisserie chicken or heck even some leftover turkey would be good. I also used a jar of pesto but you could easily make your own.
Alright, I’m off to rest for Thanksgiving Round Two. How about you make some soup?
Chicken Pesto Soup
- 3 cups shredded chicken or turkey
- 6-8 oz jar of pesto or one batch of homemade
- 2 cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, 14 oz
- 1 can of tomato sauce, 8 oz
- 1 cup diced onion
- 6-8 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- shredded parmesan cheese and chopped parsley for garnish
- Chop the onion and shred chicken. Place in slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Serve with shredded parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.