Adam and I finally had a down weekend where we didn’t have to go anywhere and it was glorious. Just absolutely fabulous. Life around here has been just a tad crazy and it’s still going to be crazy in the coming months, but for at least two days we had some calm.
Not only was the downtime appreciated, but the weather was ridiculously nice. After almost drowning in sweat on the 4th, Friday through Sunday was amazing. 70’s, no humidity, and not a cloud in the sky. In the mornings it almost felt like the first few days of fall out there and I was not complaining one bit.
On Friday, Adam took the day off and we went to our first picnic in the park for this summer. The Grant Park Symphony Orchestra played Tchaikovsky’s 5th Symphony and we enjoyed an artichoke/avocado chicken salad for dinner (recipe coming) along with other picnic fixin’s. It was almost chilly as the sun went down and I had to put on a jacket! Crazy!
On Saturday with nowhere to go and nowhere to be, we took it slow. Lounged around the apartment in the morning. Ran a few errands. And then because the weather was STILL wonderful, decided to head to the beach for the afternoon. I packed up another picnic lunch of PB & J for the husband and lettuce “sandwiches” for me.
I was shocked at the lack of people on the beach because it was so nice out but glad that we didn’t have to fight the crowds. After napping in the sun (and getting just a touch sunburned), we headed home and camped out on our couch watching Jurrasic Park and eating shwarma bowls.
It was the best.
Sunday morning we headed to the suburbs to spend some time with my folks and then we came home and puttered around the house. I was able to do some actual meal prep (!) and calmly get ready for the week ahead. I’ve almost forgotten how nice that is…
So what’s on the menu for us this week? More ridiculously easy meals because that’s just my comfort zone right now.
- Monday- Shakshuka… because I made it last week and have some leftover sauce I can reuse.
- Tuesday- Stir fry… because I can use a bag of frozen vegetables and pre-cooked meat to throw dinner together in like 10 minutes.
- Wednesday- Crispy chicken thighs… because you know that’s how I Wednesday by this point.
- Thursday- Seared Ahi Tuna… because again, you know that’s how I Thursday.
- Friday- Don’t know what this Friday will bring, but probably something similar to last weeks chicken salad.
Other things I made this weekend:
- Hardboiled eggs
- Tahini & Banana Cream Oat Bars
- Nori Breakfast Wraps
- lunches for me and Adam
- Tahini dressing (yum!)
- Mashed avocado (also yum)
Now that I’ve gotten an entire weekend of peace, I’m more than ready to tackle the week and get stuff done!
How was your weekend?